IMPORTANT: Automatic Proxy Configuration is a new feature in Safari 1.2 for OS 10.3 (Panther) and above. You will not be able to configure your Safari to use the Proxy if you do not have Safari 1.2 and OS 10.3 (Panther).
The following instructions will configure Safari with the BOL proxy server. This will allow you to access UCLA restricted sites while connecting through another ISP.
Configuring the BOL Proxy Server for the Web
- Open up Safari and go to Preferences.
- Click on the Advanced tab and click on the Change Settings... button next to Proxies.
- A window named Network will appear. Scroll down to the bottom of the Select a proxy server to configure box and check the box next to "Automatic Proxy Configuration"
- Enter the address http://proxy.ucla.edu/cgi/proxy into the URL box.
- Deselect Use passive FTP mode if it is selected.
- Click Apply Now.
You are now able to access UCLA restricted sites. A secure page will ask you to enter your UCLA Logon ID and password before proceeding to the site.