In order to bring you the best possible user experience, this site uses Javascript. If you are seeing this message, it is likely that the Javascript option in your browser is disabled. For optimal viewing of this site, please ensure that Javascript is enabled for your browser.

UCLA Home / Campus Services / Finance / Global Activities Support

Article ID: 1004669         Send us your feedback about this article  View the print friendly version of this article
FAQ: International Travel Advances

Updated: 2013.08.15

How do I get a travel advance for an international trip?

To obtain an advance through UCLA Travel Accounting, please see the UCLA Travel Services website. A link to the "How to Obtain a Travel Advance" article is provided under Related Information.

How many travel advances may I use at a time?

You may only have one travel advance at a time. Contact Travel Accounting for further information at

How are funds sent to researchers who have requested single or multiple advances?

If you are set up for auto deposit, your advance will be deposited directly to your personal bank account (similarly to how your paycheck is deposited). Otherwise, the traveler must pick up the check at UCLA Travel Accounting in the Wilshire Center, Suite 500 North.

In most situations, you may access your funds through a local ATM in the foreign country. Transaction fees, if any, are reimbursable. You may also obtain traveler’s checks directly from your bank before you leave. These fees, if any, are also reimbursable.

Note: It is the investigator’s responsibility to verify how much money may be brought into the country to which you are traveling. This information can be obtained from each country's U.S. embassy. See the U.S. State Department’s website for a list of foregin embassies in the U.S.

How do per diems relate to travel advances?

See the UCLA Travel Services website for information on per diem expenses.

When you are traveling abroad and are issued a per diem advance, you do not need to retain receipts for meals or lodging. Per diem rates vary by country, but are generally sufficient to cover reasonable daily meals and lodging.

However, if you anticipate spending in excess of the per diem amount and want reimbursement, you will be required to obtain receipts to document all meal and lodging expenditures, and provide justification for the business purpose of any excess costs. Your maximum reimbursement will be limited to 300% of the country’s per diem rate.

Global Activities Support
Email: | Mail Code: 143348

10920 Wilshire Boulevard, 5th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90024-6541
  Office Hours
Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday Closed

Related Information