Before beginning work with radioactive materials or radiation-producing machines, you must receive radiation safety training and be approved by the Radiation Safety Program. Refer to the Laboratory Safety Training Matrix for information on training requirements. Regularly scheduled radiation safety classes are available for registration through the EH&S Training site.
Additionally, each radioactive materials user or radiation-producing machine operator must be associated with an approved Radioative Materials Permit (RMP) or Radiation-Producing Machine Permit (RPMP).
Note: Contact the Radiation Safety Program directly for any permitting requests involving radioactive material or radiation-producing machine use in humans.
Specific guidelines for non-human use RMP or RPMP application approval are listed below:
Obtaining a Radioactive Materials Use Permit (RMP) or Radiation-Producing Machine Permit (RPMP)
To apply for an RMP or RPMP, the Principal Investigator (PI) should:
- Contact the Radiation Safety Program (RSP) at RadiationSafety@ehs.ucla.edu or (310) 825-5689 and request an application for an RMP or RPMP. The RSP will provide the application via e-mail or campus mail, as appropriate. The application materials may also be found in the "Related Information" section under "Documents and Forms".
- Complete the application materials in their entirety, including the Statement of Training and Experience form. It is preferred that the Statement of Training and Experience form is also completed by the laboratory group's Radiation Safety Supervisor. Experimental protocols are required for all RMP applications. For RPMP applications, the manufacturer's safe operating procedures are required.
- Mail or e-mail the application materials to the Radiation Safety Office. Applications may be e-mailed directly to the RSP contact or to RadiationSafety@ehs.ucla.edu. If using campus mail, then the application should be addressed to:
UCLA Radiation Safety Office
Attn: New RMP
Attn: New RPMP
501 Westwood Plaza, 4th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90095
- Arrange for radiation safety training for any staff that will be handling radioactive material or operating radiation-producing machines. The PI applying for the permit must also attend radiation safety training. Refer to the Lab Safety Training Matrix for training requirements.
- Radioactive materials users must attend the New Radiation Worker Qualification (NRWQ) course.
- Individuals using x-ray diffractometers or fluorescence units will need to attend the X-Ray Diffraction Safety Training course.
- Enroll in training by e-mailing email@example.com. See the training site for schedules and additional information.
Note: Individuals operating radiation-producing machines, but NOT using x-ray diffractometers, should contact the RSP at (310) 794-1876 for specific training requirements.
Ensure that your group's Laboratory Hazard Assessment Tool has been completed for the calendar year (see Laboratory Safety Site
After the application has been received and reviewed, a health physicist will contact the PI and arrange to inspect the laboratory facilities and to review the Radiation Safety Manual, pertinent policies and to address any questions. The application materials are then forwarded to the Radiation Safety Officer and Radiation Safety Committee for approval.
The RSP places the highest priority on processing new permit applications in a timely manner; however, the application process is involved and gaining approval may take several weeks. Please send your request for application materials to the RSP and complete the required forms as soon as possible to ensure sufficient time for processing.
Individuals wishing to access an irriadiator must complete the Trustworthy & Reliability (T&R) process. In order to begin the T&R process, individuals must contact the RSP at (310)825-9737 or e-mail RadiationSafety@ehs.ucla.edu and request irradiator access.